- Change Your IRS Address Records You can change your address on file with the IRS in several ways:
- Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return;
- Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year;
- Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, each spouse should notify the IRS of their new address; and
- Should an IRS employee contact you about your account, you may be able to verbally provide a change of address.
Visit http://www.irs.gov for more information about changing your address. At http://www.irs.gov, you can also find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822. For a detailed Moving Guide from NFS, please request one here.