- Review Your Eligibility. If you worked and earned under $53,267, you may qualify for EITC. If your income or family situation has changed, you should review the EITC eligibility rules. You might qualify for EITC this year even if you didn’t in the past. If you qualify for EITC you must file a federal income tax return and claim the credit to get it. This is true even if you are not otherwise required to file a tax return. Don’t guess about your EITC eligibility. Use the EITC Assistant tool on IRS.gov. The tool can help you find out if you qualify for the credit. It can also estimate the amount of your EITC.
- Know the Rules. You need to understand the rules before you claim the EITC, to be sure you qualify. It’s important that you get this right. Here are some factors you should consider:
- If you are married and file a separate return you do not qualify for EITC.
- You must have a Social Security number that is valid for employment for yourself, your spouse, if married, and any qualifying child listed on your tax return.
- You must have earned income. Earned income includes earnings from working for someone else or working for yourself.
- You may be married or single, with or without children to qualify. If you don’t have children, you must also meet age, residency and dependency rules. If you have a child who lived with you for more than six months of 2015, the child must meet age, residency, relationship and the joint return rules to qualify.
- If you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces serving in a combat zone, special rules apply.
- Lower Your Tax or Get a Refund. If you qualify for EITC, you could pay less federal tax, no tax or even get a refund. EITC could be worth up to $6,242. The average credit was $2,447 last year.
Wrentham, Norfolk, Plainville, Franklin, Walpole, Foxboro, income tax, tax calculator, hr, irs forms, Jackson Hewitt, tax, tax act, tax return, tax brackets, income tax return, tax refund, taxes, accountant, h&r, tax return calculator, tax forms, free tax filing, federal income tax, federal tax forms, federal tax return, tax online, tax returns, online tax return, irs e file, tax return status, file taxes online, tax preparation, income tax return online, instant tax services, accountants, income tax filing, income tax forms, federal tax, estimate tax return, taxes online, online tax filing, tax services, federal taxes, what is income tax, tax filing, tax questions, online tax, e filing income tax, irs free file, free tax preparation, filing taxes, file taxes, state taxes, tax accountant, h and r, tax planning, free tax return, free federal tax filing, online taxes, free state tax filing, free online tax filing, federal income tax forms, tax help, free tax, how to file taxes, tax preparer, tax consultant, free taxes, income tax returns, complete tax, federal tax forms, free taxes online, income taxes, income tax return efiling, free efile, h&r, tax advisor, tax advice, best place to do taxes in wrentham, wrentham tax, wrentham tax planner, wrentham tax prep, wrentham income, wrentham income tax, wrentham accountant, wrentham accounting